Friday 8 April 2011

Covers

I've been trying to figure out an affordable way to get a fabulous cover for Kissed by Darkness. I'd do it myself except I know my photoshop skills are less than, um, average. Egads.

Some of the big name indie authors like JA Konrath highly recommend their cover artists. Which is great, but I don't have $500 floating around. I wish.

Some authors do it themselves with varying degrees of success. I've seen some that are downright tragic. We do judge books by their covers and it's important to have a cover that not only looks like what it is (A scifi book should LOOK like a scifi book.), but is eye catching and professional.

So instead of doing my own and ending up with a Hot Mess, I hit deviantART which is a fantastic site to find great art. I did a quick search for "urban fantasy" and found some beautiful artwork by a girl over in Belgium who has done over 300 ebook covers for both indie authors and established epub houses. She's good and she only charges $75 for an ebook cover.

Rock on, Betty Lou.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have an official cover for my first novel. Oh, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment